Friday, July 16, 2010

Patchwork attempt!!!

I had a seriously quiet day at work in my shop last saturday. Cerys had come to work with me for the day and she kept asking if we were going to ever have a customer..just to make me feel eveen worse. Summertime is generally a dull time in the shop but saturdays were never this quiet. Anyway I made a quick phone call to Eva in pippablue and headed into Galway on a mission to get some fat quaters to make my first attemp at patchwork. I had been threatening this for weeks and felt it was time. The weather was terrible and traffic was worse but we were determined. The only trouble was trying to decide on a colour combo. I left it up to Cerys to choose, she loves fabrics too. Eva gave me the name of a few blogs to look at to find a tutorial and I eventually decided on this stacked coins quilt on the moda bake shop blog.


I cut all my pieces


Put them into groups and shuffled


I really enjoyed sewing them all together and watching the combinations unfold. In hindsight I would not have included the red/purple spotty one. I think it pops out too much from the overall design. I had to re shuffle the lines a few times to keep those spotty ones apart. But I am happy with the finished product. It is by no means perfect but what the heck.




I have started quilting. I am eyeball quilting because my gauge foot is missing a holding screw for my sewing machine. This is as far as I have got yet.


I am hosting my 4th lush friday and I am also linking up to fab friday,simply designing,amy lou's sew and tell ,frugalicious friday and saturdays craft envy. I would love for you to link up to lush friday and why don't you pop over to the other links too to see what else is going on.

19 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful!! And I think the dark pieces are good -kind of like a period or a comma in writing, they give the eye a place to stop and say, "Oooooooooohh!!!" And your quilting looks great!

trish said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love how you shuffled your fabrics. :o)
There is a new little page on my blog titled "bartering" and wanted to extend the invitation. :o) I am looking to trade fabric scraps for quality handcrafted jewelry. :o)
Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

It's gorgeous! The stacked coin quilt is what I want to try next. Thanks for sharing. I linked up to Lush Friday. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Jessica said...

I really like it! I love the look of coin quilts, I think I need to make one soon...so pretty!

Leslie said...

this is a excellent first patchwork.

P. said...

It's so pretty! I love stacked coin quilts, and have to put one like this on my to-do list!

Carla said...

I love the way the red/purple pop out. It make the eye move over the quilt top. I think you are doing an awesome job with it.

Dee said...

how pretty! and for you to be quilting while "handicapped"! I'm impressed!

the colors are simply lovely!

great Friday Finish!

Michelle said...

Congrats on your first patchwork! It's marvelous! I kind of like the red/purple myself. It adds interest. However, the thing about quilting is that there are no quilt police and each person develops her own style. I'd say you are well on your way. :-)

Miri said...

Great first patchwork! Really pretty quilt!

pippablue said...

YOur quilt is looking gorgeous! Love the colours and also the diagonal quilting. I'm making Finn's quilt now and think I will try quilting it like that. Hope to have it up for lush friday over the next couple of weeks ;)

patchworkdelights said...

Nice quilt, bright and cheerful, well done!

Yvonne said...

love the colors in this one.

Karen said...

Looking good!

Scrappy Gifts said...

Beautiful work!

beth said...

great job! A great quilt.

DOEHLER DAYS said...

Thanks for the comment at Doehler Days, but oh how I am jealous of you. I dream of going to Ireland and you live there!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for visiting.
Bailey

Lappedamen said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. The fabrics are beautiful.

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

I think this is beautiful!

Thanks so much for linking up!

Please stop by for another link party Friday! Also, I will be having a giveaway on Friday too!

(Oh, and if you don't mind updating my button that would be great...my old one looks so boring to me now!)

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...